Linggo, Mayo 27, 2012

MANIFESTO :)


What is Architecture? According to the web, architecture is  both the process and product of planning, designing and construction. But for me, as a sophomore architecture student, I define architecture as the profession that gives you the ability to turn those wildest imaginations into reality, the career which gives you the freedom to design and build beyond impossible.


Way back highschool, I never thought of myself taking up architecture, because what I really want to take up and be successful at is in the fields of broadcasting, journalism or anything related to communications. But as I entered 4th year high school, drawing became my hobby and one day I realized that I want to be an artist, a designer perhaps. So I decided that I will take up multimedia arts (because I read that journalism is part of their curriculum) at De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde, because it is known for that course. Luckily, I passed the entrance exam and as I was going to enroll, my sister told me that maybe it will be better if I will take up architecture instead of multimedia arts because the curriculum is just the same and because we have a construction business so if hopefully I was able to graduate, I can help in establishing our business. Since I cannot do anything (since my dad also want me to be an architect) I was forced to take up this course, I was forced to throw away my dreams of becoming a broadcaster and an artist. 


As I say hello to architecture.  Fears, doubts, frustrations and weakness also said hi. Whenever I get low scores on my plates and reporting I tend to lose hope. I often think that maybe this is not for me and that maybe it will be better if i will just shift course before it is too late. But weeks pass by in our class; I was able to see and discover that architecture is not bad after all. The “fears” and "frustrations" that I have before, is slowly fading away. I realized that if I will just try my hardest and give my 101% efforts to my course, then I will be good at it and that It will be easy for me to deal with all those archi stuffs.


It’s been a year since I first entered Benilde and decided to study architecture. And as of now, my 4th term of studying architecture, as I meet a lot of people, as I absorbed architectural information’s, I can say that it is more fun studying architecture.  I know that architecture is not an ordinary course; it is very different from other courses because it requires a lot of characteristics and personality you should have but I am willing to take all the risk because I know in the end, hopefully when I get my college diploma, I can be proud of myself, I can help in establishing our company and that I could prove those people who once taught that I will not be successful in my chosen career wrong.  If ever I would be a license architect, I would like to design contemporary houses or buildings. Contemporary architecture is the building style of the present day. I like to focus my design on this style because I would like people to know that the present is very important and if without present, there is no future. I also like this style because I love expansive windows and high ceilings and I think this is one of the characteristics of a contemporary house. My favourite contemporary artist is Frank Gehry, his works are very simple yet very creative in his own way, it always leave me speechless whenever I see his works, most especially the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I can’t believe that he got that idea from a crumpled paper. Such a genius!

 I still have a long way before reaching my goal, to be a known architect. What I am experiencing right now is just the 1/8 of my journey. But whatever difficulties I will encounter for the next years, I am willing to surpass all of it, I am willing to learn and sacrifice because my family is my inspiration. I would like to end this blog by sharing with you one of  Sir Winston Churchil’s quote, “We shape our buildings: thereafter  they shape us.” , it explains to us that we became the persons we are today because of our experiences.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento